Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ask Dr. Man - Rhinoplasty

Dear Dr. Man, I’m a mother of 2 in Boca Raton. I’d like to have a nose job, but I’m slightly concerned. When I was a teenager, I used drugs, specifically cocaine. I haven’t used drugs in over ten years, but I’m concerned that my prior drug use may have an effect on the nose job. What do you think?

Some drugs that are "snorted" can damage the septum of the nose. The septum is the structure that separates the left and right sides of our nose, internally. During your initial consultation, I encourage you to be open and honest with your board-certified plastic surgeon. When he or she examines you, it should be a relatively easy diagnosis to make, since such damage is easily visible to the surgeon during an initial exam. If the surgeon sees that no damage exists, then rhinoplasty should be no different than in a patient who has no history of drugs. However, if you have suffered damage to the septum, there is a possibility of intermittent bleeding, as well as breathing problems related to the septal damage. Your surgeon should be able to advise you as to the best course of action.



Dear Dr. Man, I’m a 25 year old Boynton Beach native. Several of my friends have had rhinoplasty done, and they have told me that there is swelling for several days afterward. I work a lot, so I’m wondering when I can go back to work looking somewhat normal.

Everyone’s body heals differently. In general, by 7 to 10 days, most patients feel comfortable being in the public eye. In the days following surgery, your face may be bruised, but this passes. Each day, your nose will begin to look better. Healing is a gradual process; and some subtle swelling may be present for months after surgery. Be sure to follow your surgeon’s post-operative healing instructions carefully; this will help with the healing and ensure minimal swelling and faster recovery.


Dr. Daniel Man is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has dedicated his life’s work to helping people look younger and improve their appearance through cosmetic surgery. He is a noted author, artist, inventor and educator. Dr. Man has been featured on major television networks, as well as national and local magazines and newspapers for his work as both a plastic surgeon and an artist. Dr. Man has a private practice in Boca Raton, FL. www.drman.com

No comments:

Post a Comment