Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ask Dr. Man- Implants for Teenagers

Dear Dr. Man, I’m turning 16 and instead of a party, I’ve asked my parents to buy me breast implants- they were not so keen on the idea. I’m a small B and very self-conscious about my chest. Two of my friends are getting implants, so I don’t see why my parents are making a big deal out of this. Can you give me your take on this topic please?

Getting breast implants at a young age is a controversial subject with many different opinions. Teen breast augmentation is on the rise. According to the American Society for Plastic Surgery, in 2006 there were approximately 329,000 breast augmentations in the United States. 9,104 of them were for patients in the 13 - 19 year old category. That is a 12% increase in teenage breast augmentation from 2005 to 2006!
Parents giving breast implants for Sweet 16 and graduation presents may be on the rise and it may seem like all of your friends are getting them, but it may not be the best decision for you.
While there are medical exceptions, it is generally not a good idea to get breast implants prior to age 18. There are two reasons why I feel this way. The first reason is that the body is still growing. Although everyone is different, your breasts will likely continue to grow until you are about 19 years old. Your breasts can also be affected by weight gain, as well as naturally occurring and supplemental hormones such as the birth control pill.
Another factor in my hesitation to perform implant surgery on teenagers is because of the motivation behind getting the implants. Many teenagers want implants because their friends are getting them. Others feel that it will make them more appealing to the opposite sex. In my opinion, none of these are good reasons for someone so young to get implants. Getting implants is a decision that requires experience and mental maturity. Why not wait until you are a bit older, your body is done developing and you are able to make a more informed decision about your breasts.

There are cases in which it is necessary or desirable to perform implant surgery on teenagers, such as severe asymmetry or reconstruction. Some people ask me, “If you can do surgery on those girls, why can’t I have it?” My answer is that there is a difference between having small breasts that you’d like bigger and having a pair of breasts that are of unequal sizes, such as an A cup on the right side and a C cup on the left side.
The decision to have surgery is between you, your parents and your doctor. My recommendation is to be safe and follow the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Email Questions and Comments


Dr. Man


Dr. Daniel Man is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has dedicated his life’s work to helping people look younger and improve their appearance through cosmetic surgery. He is a noted author, artist, inventor and educator. Dr. Man has been featured on major television networks, as well as national and local magazines and newspapers for his work as both a plastic surgeon and an artist. He has a successful private practice in Boca Raton, FL. For more information about Dr. Man, visit www.drman.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment