Saturday, January 30, 2010

Ask Dr. Man- Uneven Breasts

Dear Dr. Man, I’m 24 years old and I have an embarrassing problem- my breasts are uneven. I am a small A on the right side and a full B on the left side. I always have to wear a size B bra and then stuff one side. I’m sick of it. What can I do? Can I get an implant in my right breast to even it out with the left one? What if I want my breasts to be larger? Signed, Uneven in Boca

Dear Uneven, This is actually a very common problem that I treat quite often. In order to correct the problem, I most often use silicone breast implants on both sides, in order to make sure they are even. The new silicone breast implants, recently approved by the FDA, are very natural looking and feeling. Since you will be getting implants on both sides, you can choose to stay the same size or go larger.

There are two main factors to consider when it comes to the size of your implants, namely: the size of the breast in proportion to the size of your body and the characteristics of your breast tissue. Every individual differs in these areas. The ideal breast size should balance with your height and weight measurements. The size also largely depends upon how much natural breast tissue you have. For example, a woman with more breast tissue will need her implants filled with fewer cc’s (volume) in order to get the size she desires.

Many women believe that an augmented breast will not sag, which is not true. The tendency of the breast to sag is related to the loss of skin elasticity and how thin the tissue is surrounding the breast. If you choose an implant that is too large, it can actually cause the tissue to stretch and, thus, cause more sagging to occur.

The type and size of the implants that are best for you depends upon what you want and what your breast tissue will allow you to have. I encourage you to discuss all of your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon during your pre-operative consultation.

Email Questions and Comments


Dr. Man


Dr. Daniel Man is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has dedicated his life’s work to helping people look younger and improve their appearance through cosmetic surgery. He is a noted author, artist, inventor and educator. Dr. Man has been featured on major television networks, as well as national and local magazines and newspapers for his work as both a plastic surgeon and an artist. He has a successful private practice in Boca Raton, FL. For more information about Dr. Man, visit www.drman.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment