Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ask Dr. Man- Young Lips

Dear Dr. Man, I’m 21 years old and just graduated college. I’ve always wanted full lips, but instead I have thin and narrow lips. I’m happy with every other part of my body except my lips. I really want to get this fixed. When I told my mom and my boyfriend that I want to get this worked on, they told me that only old people get their lips done. Is this true? Also, what can I do to help make my lips fuller and more appealing?

Full lips have always been sought after, regardless of age. A plump pout is considered to be not only a sign of youth, but an icon of sensuality as well. As we age, the lips do lose their plumpness and fullness; however, some women naturally have thin lips. The upper lip in many women can appear thin; and the distance from the tip of the nose to the upper lip lengthens as the lips drop "down,” which can cause a frown-like appearance around the mouth. A lip lift or lip augmentation can increase the volume and fullness of the lips and give a more attractive contour and natural pout.

Lip augmentation can be useful for people who have small, deflated lips, asymmetry, reconstructive needs, dropping or sagging upper lip, lack of color, wrinkling from smoking or aging and other complaints. Lip augmentation is not done only on aging individuals- I see many young patients who desire more sensual and attractive lips.

Lip augmentation uses synthetic or biological products or surgical restructuring to enhance the lips using several different treatment options. A common procedure that we hear a lot about these days is the use of filler materials to give the soft lip tissue more fullness and support. These materials can be injected or implanted into the skin and can include collagen or fat, or new fillers, such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm. For lines around the lips, a filler called Cosmoplast works well. Some people go a step further and have a surgical lip lift, which shortens the area between the nose and upper lip, in order to reduce a frown-like appearance.

These procedures are performed in the doctor's office under local or I.V. sedation. After treatment, people usually experience some swelling and bruising. In the case of incisions, sutures are removed after several days. As with all surgery, there are some risks, which you should discuss with your surgeon.

Talk to your plastic surgeon to decide which treatment is right for you.

Email Questions and Comments


Dr. Man


Dr. Daniel Man is a board-certified plastic surgeon who has dedicated his life’s work to helping people look younger and improve their appearance through cosmetic surgery. He is a noted author, artist, inventor and educator. Dr. Man has been featured on major television networks, as well as national and local magazines and newspapers for his work as both a plastic surgeon and an artist. He has a successful private practice in Boca Raton, FL. For more information about Dr. Man, visit www.drman.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment